Terms of service
The goal of the service is to allow me and my friends to communicate using Mastodon. Since it's supposed to be a small community of people who know and get along with each other, I prefer not to have a formal set of rule. Still, I reserve the right to get rid of anyone who is misbehaving, with the understanding that you can migrate somewhere else if you feel I am misbehaving. Think of it like a party in my back yard: I will kick out people if things are going wrong.
That said, here are some basic rules:
- We operate under Dutch law, so make sure your actions don't get us into trouble.
- The following are not acceptable: discrimination (including racism, sexism, homophobia and transphobia), hate speech, harassment, abuse, trolling, spam or other unethical behaviour.
- Try to avoid annoying people and don't go around pulling people into a fight.
- Don't break the server on purpose, and if you break it by accident, you should help to repair it.
- Please use content warnings/mark media as sensitive if needed.
- Also, be a bit decent in public, since your content will appear under my name.
- The rules apply for everything involved in the use of the server, including if you use another instance to interact with users here.
- Anything that does not follow the rules can be removed and anyone who doesn't follow them can be banned if needed.
- Moderation will occur on a basis of "if I see it and it needs to be done", so please report or otherwise notify me if you need something done.
- Instances with lax moderation standards will be blocked if I feel like interacting with some of their users will ruin my day.
The terms of service can be changed at any time if I think it's a good idea.
Some tips for usage
- When you register, you have to pick a permanent username. You can migrate to another account, but this requires telling everyone else to use the new name, so choose wisely.
- You can use any language you like. I will have to use machine translation or guess the meaning of anything that is not Dutch, English, French, German and Spanish, which may complicate moderation.
- If you are unsure of anything, feel free to ask!
What information do we collect?
- Basic account information: If you register on this server, you may be asked to enter a username, an e-mail address and a password. You may also enter additional profile information such as a display name and biography, and upload a profile picture and header image. The username, display name, biography, profile picture and header image are always listed publicly.
- Posts, following and other public information: The list of people you follow is listed publicly, the same is true for your followers. When you submit a message, the date and time is stored as well as the application you submitted the message from. Messages may contain media attachments, such as pictures and videos. Public and unlisted posts are available publicly. When you feature a post on your profile, that is also publicly available information. Your posts are delivered to your followers, in some cases it means they are delivered to different servers and copies are stored there. When you delete posts, this is likewise delivered to your followers. The action of reblogging or favouriting another post is always public.
- Direct and followers-only posts: All posts are stored and processed on the server. Followers-only posts are delivered to your followers and users who are mentioned in them, and direct posts are delivered only to users mentioned in them. In some cases it means they are delivered to different servers and copies are stored there. We make a good faith effort to limit the access to those posts only to authorized persons, but other servers may fail to do so. Therefore it's important to review servers your followers belong to. You may toggle an option to approve and reject new followers manually in the settings. Please keep in mind that the operators of the server and any receiving server may view such messages, and that recipients may screenshot, copy or otherwise re-share them. Do not share any dangerous information over Mastodon.
- IPs and other metadata: When you log in, we record the IP address you log in from, as well as the name of your browser application. All the logged in sessions are available for your review and revocation in the settings. The latest IP address used is stored for up to 12 months. We also may retain server logs which include the IP address of every request to our server.
What do we use your information for?
Any of the information we collect from you may be used in the following ways:
- To provide the core functionality of Mastodon. You can only interact with other people's content and post your own content when you are logged in. For example, you may follow other people to view their combined posts in your own personalized home timeline.
- To aid moderation of the community, for example comparing your IP address with other known ones to determine ban evasion or other violations.
- The email address you provide may be used to send you information, notifications about other people interacting with your content or sending you messages, and to respond to inquiries, and/or other requests or questions.
How do we protect your information?
We implement a variety of security measures to maintain the safety of your personal information when you enter, submit, or access your personal information. Among other things, your browser session, as well as the traffic between your applications and the API, are secured with SSL, and your password is hashed using a strong one-way algorithm. You may enable two-factor authentication to further secure access to your account.
What is our data retention policy?
We will make a good faith effort to:
- Retain server logs containing the IP address of all requests to this server, in so far as such logs are kept, no more than 90 days.
- Retain the IP addresses associated with registered users no more than 12 months.
You can request and download an archive of your content, including your posts, media attachments, profile picture, and header image.
You may irreversibly delete your account at any time.
Yes. Cookies are small files that a site or its service provider transfers to your computer's hard drive through your Web browser (if you allow). These cookies enable the site to recognize your browser and, if you have a registered account, associate it with your registered account.
Do we disclose any information to outside parties?
We do not sell, trade, or otherwise transfer to outside parties your personally identifiable information. This does not include trusted third parties who assist us in operating our site, conducting our business, or servicing you, so long as those parties agree to keep this information confidential. We may also release your information when we believe release is appropriate to comply with the law, enforce our site policies, or protect ours or others rights, property, or safety.
Your public content may be downloaded by other servers in the network. Your public and followers-only posts are delivered to the servers where your followers reside, and direct messages are delivered to the servers of the recipients, in so far as those followers or recipients reside on a different server than this.
When you authorize an application to use your account, depending on the scope of permissions you approve, it may access your public profile information, your following list, your followers, your lists, all your posts, and your favourites. Applications can never access your e-mail address or password.
Site usage by children
If this server is in the EU or the EEA: Our site, products and services are all directed to people who are at least 16 years old. If you are under the age of 16, per the requirements of the GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) do not use this site.
If this server is in the USA: Our site, products and services are all directed to people who are at least 13 years old. If you are under the age of 13, per the requirements of COPPA (Children's Online Privacy Protection Act) do not use this site.
Law requirements can be different if this server is in another jurisdiction.
This document is CC-BY-SA. It was last updated 2019-07-26.